Strakes, Fuel & Baggage

12/25/16 It is said that at one time Burt was asked "how long does it take to build one of these airplanes?" to which he replied, "one and a half wives." While he may have been jesting he seems to be pretty damned accurate. I recently got divorced and it caused an interruption in my build of about a year and a half. Sold my house, moved my project down into a hanger at the ogden airport. (Actually have 3 cozies in the hanger... mine, my brothers, and Rick Irwin's, pretty cool!) Bought another house, fixed it up to where I could live in it and now im back on the project again. Two years since the last update. In the meantime Comcast decided to stop hosting websites for their customers so I had to move to a free site.

Another rather large change, the primary support for the rotary engine on an aircraft went and retired... without that support I changed my mind to an io-540b4c5 recommended by Dave Ronnenburg. Since I had just sold a house I went ahead and found an engine and bought it.

SSSTTTRRRRAAAAKKKKEEEEESSSS...... Finally started on the strakes. Switched it up to EZPoxy for the fuel tanks, consensus is it is the best for fuel resistance. Used the cozy girrrls diagram to lay out the ribs on 2 sheets of foam. It's taken me a bit to wrap my head around the order of assembling these things. Built a heat tent so I can build while it's cold as hell here.

Assembling the ribs. spaced it out over a few days... seemed like tempting fate to do it all at once... everything went smoothly.

05/16/2017 this is going to be a pretty big update. haven't updated for awhile so there's a lot to go over. Strakes are almost done at this point and I just need to do the leading edge and the transition block. but I am getting ahead of myself.
Since it was still december and was cold as hell I needed to use a heat tent to keep the epoxy curing. I used the waterline and measured out everything to get the strakes the right shape. I clamped an old shelf to the bottom of the spar to use in lining things up. Decided for most things I didn't need the table as long as everything lined up.
Glad I didn't use ez-poxy for the whole plane... that stuff is stinky... Here's a few views of the t hats in place, the fuel filter floxed in place and the top ready to be installed. really tried to go overboard to avoid leak potential.
Tops on. Did everything I could to avoid leaks. wasnt enough though...  Right strake had 2 leaks along the leading edge, and left strake had a leak along the fuselage top edge and another near the fuel cap. I did install them on the top skin before I installed the skin.
Ready to flip. Fabricated the half circle rollers and added a protrusion at the bottom to protect my leg fairings from hitting the floor when I rolled it. did it with my brother, in hindsight a 3rd person would have been helpful. It was a difficult 2 person job.
Made my sumps. For some reason I look at them and think they need to be cleaned.... maybe it's just because they are brown.
Used some left over wing foam to create a fairing for the sumps... the less wind resistance I can build into this thing, the better it will fly when that time comes.
aaaaaaaaaaaaiii
www.000webhost.com