Main Gear & Landing Brake

Leg Fairings (Not in Plans)
March 2011 I saw a post in the mailing list about Eureka CNC doing experiments into cutting cores for Leg Fairings. Always being one to want to avoid the headache others have in building particular parts of their airplanes, I promptly contacted Steven at Eureka and signed up as a guinea pig. After numerous emails between myself and Steven as well as Kevin Walsh (the guy who came up with the specs on the fairings) I sent Eureka a check and got some leg fairings in the mail.

After consultations with Kevin Walsh he recommended cutting them in 2-3 inch increments to get the curve to go up the legs. So I chose every 2 inches. I labelled the sections so they would not get out of order. (Left and right 1-13)

The first cut I made was for the one that mates the fairing to the skin of the plane. So I took an angle measurement and cut the first cut to that angle so I would be pretty close to having a good junction at the plane/fairing.

The only deviation I had is that I do not have a setup for vacuum bagging so I had to micro the sections on one at a time and wait for them to cure using clamps to hold them in position. (added about 2 weeks to the build.)

Before doing the first layups, I got some teflon tubing from Lowe's and ran it down the hole provided in the cores for the brake lines to make sure no micro or epoxy set in the way of the brake lines. Then I micro'd and did 3x bid at 45 degrees. repeated on other leg and flipped the legs over.

On the second side I made sure the front was trimmed right at the front of the shape and filed the edge of the first layup flush with the foam just like on the canard layups. I then used the dremel to remove 1/2 inch of foam from the trailing edge to use as a flox trough for good bonding strength on the trailing edge.

I filled the flox trough with flox and did another 3 layer bid layup (45 degrees) going down this side of the fairing and overlapping the front of the fairing by about an inch for good front strength.

I had several pieces of hard point. roughly 6-8 layers and with those and flox I made caps for the top of the fairing. Drilling holes for the brake line and another for any electrical I need to run later. Since I am using braided steel brake lines I did not want the brake lines rubbing away the foam where it exits the fairing. ( I had floxxed in place a length of that 1/4 in tubing to the rear edge of the leg, but after talking to Kevin I decided to go with braided steel brake lines and they did not fit in my existing tubing, so I used the provided duct for the new brake lines and left the other in place for electrical. fortunately the fairing foam fit right over the existing floxxed in tubing.)

Completed fairing. I will leave it at full length until I get my gear fairing from Klaus Savier and trim the end to fit the wheel fairing at that time.

Matco brakes and wheels reinstalled with the steel brake line ran through the fairing trough. When i get the wheel fairings I will likely make some sort of cap at the bottom of the fairing too to keep the foam from being worn away.

6-09-13 I started with my left wheel pant and it quickly became apparent that I was going to need to widen my wheel pants like Wayne Hicks did. Sorry Klaus, time to butcher your beautiful wheelpants I bought from you. I got the spacing right on the outer axle, then widened them to keep the spacing around the wheel accurate. Once I had them reassembled, I squared them up to the plane at 2 degrees down from level with the fuselage, and then drilled the screw for the bolt on the inside of the legging. having everything squared and levelled I made a fairing.
Any chance I get to play with pour foam is awesome. Add some layers so I have something to put the mounting screws through. I exagerated the flair at the rear to reduce drag. I attended a seminar about this type of thing from the wing to the winglet, and thought It couldnt hurt to apply the principle here too.

6-22-13 Small update. My wheels have PANTS!

Granted they are old tires, and the left one is a bit flat in this picture, but it really looks good with the pants on it. Now I get to take them off, and throw them in a box somewhere until it's finishing time for the plane. Note the awesome canard sticker on the back of the prius 8)
aaaaaaaaaaaaiii